Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Welcome to Another Exciting Episode!

Goaded from his torpor of inaction, our heroic mechanic arises from his pre-dinner sitting, powers up his computer, and logs onto his blog, to share with the world the wonders of World War II naval engineroom restoration! [Dramatic chord]. This week's episode: The Valve Gods Have Been Satisfied...

Well, those of you who have been following my work with any regularity know, the pesky gate valve that has haunted my weekends/days off for the past few weeks, the one for which I had to find a new handwheel, the one that refused to come out unless part of the piping came out with it, the one that had nuts fused to bolts that had to be removed with welding torches and metal chisels was finally cleaned up and slated to get put back in the system minus the packing gland nut. I figured that the gland nut, when a replacement was finally found, would be easy enough to replace. I mean, the valve wouldn't have to be removed -- take of the handwheel, slip the gland nut over the shaft, torque it down, and replace the handwheel.

So, I made my return to replace the valve. I walk up to my bucket, and lo and behold, some kind sould had found the exact packing gland nut that I needed! First thing that day, the part that I never thought I would find has been delivered almost literally into my lap! I knew from that moment it would be a good day. So, with newly purchased nuts and bolts from the local Home Depot in one hand, wrenches and ratchets in the other, the valve, fully assembled, was replaced. Not to brag, but I think the thing looks pretty good. Of course there was some wiggling and loosening of other parts, some mild "mechanical agitation", and, let's face it, a resonable, but not excessive amout of swearing. (Serously, folks, I'm a Sailor. It's my job. It's what I do. They don't call it "swearing like a shoe salesman", now do they?) But as I snapped this photo, I couldn't help but to smile.

Looking around the enginerooms, wrench in hand, I had to choose my new victim -- er, project. I had done several globe valves, and the gate valves left were either too corroded to bear looking at or too large to contemplate removing by myself. Truth be told, most of them were both. However, looking in the overhead, I noticed a device that kind of stood out, mostly on account of it's color. You don't often see blue valves, but this one was. An air reducer! How quaint. It was new territory to me, from an actual hands-on standpoint; it did not look excessively corroded, terribly large, or horribly complicated to remove. It was perfect. So, after procuring a pipe wrench, I attacked the reducer with all due vigor.


Now, I say "all due vigor" for a reason, mostly so that no one can really say that I attacked it with excessive or undue vigor. And the reason I want to preclude that, is because of this...

Yup, I broke it. Now, to be fair, it is an old, galvanized metal pipe, exposed to moisture for God only knows how long, but as I tried to remove the pipe from the reducer, the pipe sheared. I'm currently bugging local plumbing supply stores trying to find a replacement, but I do have a contengency plan should all else fail. All good mechanics have a contengency plan...






Okay, so the reducer was removed; what to do next? Disassemble it, of course! With less effort than I would have anticipated, the reducer came apart.

Now, if this thing looks complicated, all I can say is that, well, I agree. I went to the Engineer's Office looking for a technical manual, but to no avail. Although I expected to remain short on avail, I took the manufacturer's name of the side of the reducer and looked them up online when I got home, and sure enough, they're still around. I'm currently talking to the good folks at Keckley to see if they even have anyone around who would know about this particular reducer. More on that as the news comes in.







After taking the bits and pieces to the wire wheel, there was an amazing difference.
Well, other than that, there is not too much to report. The enginerooms are being re-painted, the tours go on. Chipping and welding go on with regularity, and the depth charges keep rolling in, from somewhere in Montana, I've been told. The sun rises and sets. The river rolls on. And SLATER keeps afloat, and looking better and better each day.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I have never posted a comment on a blog before. I thought it would be more exciting than it really is. I saw that no one else has yet to post a comment and am glad I am the first.